Generating a project configuration for RT application
RT applications developed within NRMKPlatform are intended to run remotely in a STEP platforms connected by Ethernet to the host. In order for remote execution Eclipse should know where to download the cross-compiled binary and how to execute it. Proper NRMKPlatform projects should provide this information in Run Configuration and Debug Configuration of Eclipse. They can be accessed by toolbar buttons or in menu Run.
Run and Debug Configurations in Eclipse
As name implies Run Configuration is used for running the application while Debug Configuration for debugging the application.
How to create Run/Debug Configuration for a project
Just as we did for creating a project we create the configuration for the project by duplicating a prebuilt template configuration, e.g. XenomaiTest Release and XenomaiTest Debug for template configurations.
- Choose Run Configurations... to open Run Configurations dialog. Select XenomaiTest Release and choose Duplicate in the context menu (by right-click on the item).
Duplicating Run Configuration in Eclipse
- Fix those duplicated settings in the red dotted box, e.g. replacing XenomaiTest with HelloSTEP.
Setting Run Configuration in Eclipse
It is worth remarking the two items.
- (1) Remote Absolute File path for C/C++ Application: /home/user/dev/runtest/release/HelloSTEP: This is the path of the executable binary in the STEP platform. It means that you can run the application directly in the STEP platform, i.e. sudo ./HelloSTEP in PuTTY.
Executable in STEP/PC
- (2) Connection: Target: Eclipse should transfer the built binary to the remote STEP platform. All necessary information on the connection is prescribed in Target. It can be examined in Remote System Explorer perspective node named Target.
How to set connection for Run/Debug Configuration for a project
To open Remote System Explorer perspective
- click on Open Perspective toolbar and select Other.....
Opening Remote System Explorer perspective
- In Remote System Explorer find the node named Target in Remote Systems pane. A most important information is the ip address specified in Host name field. This example shows that STEP platform is connected at 192.168.137.100, which is the statically configured IP of LAN 2 port of STEP/PC. This is the properties of Connection: Target in Run Configuration of this project.
Target connection in Remote System Explorer